Site Overlay
How to Avoid Mold in Your Restaurant

How to Avoid Mold in Your Restaurant

Mold is a kind of fungus that grows in environments with warm and moist conditions. It also feeds on things that are organic and can be decomposed, including food. Keeping your Houston house mold free is necessary.

What Are the Harmful Effects of Mold?

To understand the importance of having your restaurant mold-free, here are the harmful effects of mold on the human body:

Irritation

Mold produces Volatile Organic Compounds. What are they? These compounds can cause damage to a person’s mucous membrane and central nervous system when exposed. This, then, leads to headache, shorter attention span, and skin irritation, as well as dizziness and difficulty concentrating.

Allergy

Molds are allergens. When a person intakes mold, it can cause a runny nose, watery or itchy eyes, and colds and cough. Some cases even lead to asthma. This isn’t the case for everyone. This mostly happens to people with a weak immune system, but why take the risk?

Cancer

Yes, cancer can be caused by molds. When a person gets mold inside their body, the mold can weaken the immune system and can even lead to damaged heart, lungs, kidneys, intestines, and skin.

Neurotoxin Effects

Since molds have the ability to harden nerve tissues, they can lead to dangerous neurotoxin effects. These harmful effects can cause a person to have a weak neurological function and vision sensitivity.

You don’t really want these harmful effects to reach your customers or employees, do you? So, how do you make sure that your restaurant is mold-free?

Well, prevention is always the better path.

How to Prevent Mold Infestation in Your Restaurant

Monitor Areas That Are Susceptible to Having Molds.

Areas like refrigerators and sink should regularly be checked. Make sure that they are cleaned every day to prevent mold from growing. Look out for signs of mold, and when you do find some, be sure to eliminate them as soon as possible.

Make Sure the Humidity Levels Are Low.

Why? As stated above, molds feed on moist and warm areas. Letting areas in your restaurant full of moisture just invites molds in. That is why you have to make sure that the humidity levels in your restaurant are low – between 30% and 50% according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Hidden Spaces Are Important.

As a matter of fact, these hidden spaces are where molds start to grow. They have the moist and warmth as well as time. Some people just make sure that the surface is clean, and while that is important, it’s equally imperative that the hidden spaces are cleaned as well so that molds won’t have anywhere to start.

Proper Ventilation Is a Must.

Lack of ventilation leads to a warmer and moister place, which then leads to molds, and proper ventilation keeps the place cooler. Buildings lacking good ventilation can often be found with more molds inside than modern buildings with more ventilation.

Ensure That the Food Is Fresh.

As a restaurant owner, you have to ensure that the food your business serves is as fresh as it can be. Not doing so leads to contamination and molds. Make sure to dispose of ingredients that are not fresh anymore, or worse, expired.

Have Regular Inspections.

Regular inspections can find molds that ordinary eyes can’t. This is a good way to ensure that the restaurant you own is mold-free.

Now, if all else fails, call experts right away. Don’t try to solve the problem on your own as that doesn’t guarantee long-term solutions and might only make the problem worse.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *